- Minute pirate bug
for thrips, shake leaves and flowers gently onto a white sheet of paper or into a shallow carton box. The general recommended economic threshold level
is: 20% of the plant population is infested with thrips. Count the number of plants with thrips and not the actual number of thrips (CIIFAD, 1995).
Management and cultural practices
- Crops which are sensitive to thrips attack should not be planted following onions. Volunteer onion plants that attract thrips should be removed.
- Sunflower, cosmos, alfalfa, and dill are companion crops that divert the attention of thrips. In the Cordilleras (Philippines), planting green onions as a trap crop and intercrops of cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, and carrot fields has been successfully practiced.
- Keep plants well irrigated. Lack of water increases the susceptibility of plants to thrips damage.
- Prune off and remove heavily infested plant parts.
- Remove weeds as the thrips population builds-up on them.