- Predatory mite
Management and cultural practices
- Remove grassy weeds surrounding your rice fields. The weeds serve as the pests' alternate hosts.
- Plant resistant varieties. In this case, ask for assistance from your local
agriculturist for there are several gall midge biotypes.
- Delay the wet season planting of photoperiod sensitive variety to reduce the length of the vegetative period before a gall midge transfers from its alternate hosts. Rice gall midge is difficult to control with insecticides.
- Split the nitrogen application 3 times; during the seedling, vegetative, and reproductive growth stages.
- Plow-under the ratoons of the previous crop to expose the pests to sunlight and predators. The larvae and pupae
might still be in the ratoons.