- Damsel bug
- Ground beetle
- Ground lizard
Randomly select 20 hills across the field. Count the number of nymphs and adults. Control measure is necessary when there are 5 bugs per hill.
Management and cultural practices
- Dry the rice field during land preparation to
expose dormant black bugs to sun and other predators.
- Plant early maturing variety to reduce their population build-up.
- Remove the weeds to allow sunlight to reach the base of the plants.
- During early infestation, raise the field's water level for 2-3 days to force the insects to move upward for easy control and collection.
- Plow the field after harvest to disturb and kill the insects remaining in the field.