Pathogens in pest control
- Spray plants with a fine mist of water; then dust with Diatomaceous earth (ACORN, 2004). D.E. is available at your local agricultural suppliers.
- Spray the crop with a sugar-water solution to attract natural enemies when the pest is active (ACORN, 2004).
Physical control methods
- Handpick the larvae and egg masses.
- Use fine nylon nets as row covers to protect seedlings from egg-laying moths.
- Mass trapping of adults using pheromone trap. Buy pheromone capsule (bait) from your local agricultural suppliers. Make your own trap by using an old 1 liter plastic ice cream or plastic bottle water container. Cut 3 large holes into the sides for the insect to enter. Half-fill the bottom with soapy water. Suspend the pheromone capsule from the lid using wire then snap the trap closed. Hang or attach the trap with a bamboo or wooden stake.